Monday, January 9, 2012

The Talk

Every little girl grows up picturing their wedding and their prince charming smiling like he just won the biggest prize or softly crying(manly tears) as she walks down the aisle, but lets remember certain events have to take place before a wedding is even mentioned in the relationships.

First, if either the bride or groom are traditionalist then it is the grooms responsibility to ask the brides mother or father for her hand in marriage. I am a traditionalist myself and wholeheartedly believe the groom should ask permission if only for the laughs I get looking back on the exact moment.

Earlier this week, I had dinner with my boyfriends parents and my mom and we discussed the idea that we wanted to get married. The responses from them were comical and somewhat unexpected. They want to know details and when did we expect to them that this was the plan because they needed time to prepare and plan. My thought was why are you planning isn't it our wedding, but nonetheless I'm glad that they were happy for us and wanted to help with the planning.

Then of course most women have an idea of how they want to be proposed to. My ideal proposal would consist of my boyfriend getting me a limited edition of my favorite book that is hollowed out and give it to me as a present. I would be mad that it wasn't exactly the book, but to open it and find a ring would be beautiful. Once all the preliminary events are out of the way the question is what to do next is it the dress, venue, pastor, date, or budget?

I asked roughly 20 people what is the first thing they do when they plan a wedding and her were a few of the responses:
Now this is funny. A female patron replied: Depends if I'm marrying for love or money. If I'm getting married for money, then first I'm planning my divorce party. If I'm marrying for love, then I'm planning my honeymoon, i.e first stop Victoria Secret.

A male replied: Most guys would panic about the costs of the wedding, but otherwise what type of wedding the couple wants and where to have the wedding is first on the list.

A few responses consisted of finding a dress and to be honest that was my first thought and then the location. The major consensus between the people surveyed was location.

No comments:

Post a Comment